Friday, November 28, 2014

Space Hulk Genestealers

I have been duped into doing some commissioned painting for a friend. Now I have to rip through the 38 Space Hulk models in the next week. It's not so much work as it's more like charity, but I still want to act inconvenienced about the whole deal.

I tried doing the genestealers in batches of eight, but that proved to be to demoralizing and I lowered the batch number to four. Four genestealers is that number that makes you almost want to throw the fourth model but you finish it anyway.

I based the models with Vallejo Black Primer that was mixed with water in a 50/50 ratio using my Iwata Revolution CR airbrush.


This is the best way to prime your models.

By using this method you apply the thinnest and most controlled base coat. It also saves you money over time and is probably better for the environment, so yeah... do you need more reasons?

I painted the metal areas by first drybrushing Leadbelcher and then highlighting with Necron Compound before applying a wash of Agrax Earthshade.



After allowing the wash to dry, I painted Kantor Blue on the chitin areas that I would be highlighting with Temple Guard Blue.

The skin was done with Xerus Purple as a base, followed by Genestealer Purple (fittingly), and then washed with Durchi Violet.


The teeth were painted with Fenrisian Grey and the eyes were painted with Flash Gits Yellow.

Nothing too complicated but this is a quick and dirty job for a friend.

For those of you wondering, I use Windsor and Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable brushes for most of my painting. The Size 2 is my main brush, but I'll use 1 or 0 occasionally. I prefer the regular style over the miniature, unless I am doing some freehand details. I also use the Games Workshop drybrushes and their wash brush for their respective uses.

I'm pausing all my other projects until this is completed because my friend will be serving overseas after the New Year, and I want this to be my "Bon Voyage" for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment